Friday 16 April 2010

Fort Knox

Sing along with me:

“Ten green bean shoots growing in the ground. Ten green bean shoots growing in the ground. And if one green bean shoot should get eaten by a mouse, there’ll be nine green bean shoots growing in the ground.” 

The mouse is now in the number one spot on my hit list of garden pests. When my precious little broad bean shoots first began to disappear overnight, we set up traps along the row. One mouse down, but so were the bean shoots. All we’d done was provide a tasty sweet jam dessert for an “all you can eat” buffet consisting of bean shoots, bean shoots and more bean shoots.

By this point I was singing “One green bean shoot growing in the ground”. Time to declare war on mice. I had to protect my last bean shoot and stop the twitchy nosed furry ******* from snaffling the neighbouring pea shoots next.

I dragged Dave and Ali up the lane, into a quarry and up a hill to collect gorse. According to Carol of Gardener’s World fame, gorse is natures barbed wire, so I was going to put that to the test.

The surviving bean shoot is fenced in by gorse, flanked by traps and covered with chicken wire. The pea shoots have spiky pea sticks as armed guards and more gorse wire fencing.

Come and get it mousey!

IMG_4451

IMG_4453

2 comments:

Steve Dunton said...

This story just reminds me of "the mole" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas

Squaddie Dad said...

I think your best bet is to get a couple of cats!!