Tuesday 20 October 2009

Remembering Shakey

Anyone who saw how I decorated my first flat would know I’m no graduate of the Magnolia School of Decorating (or indeed any school of decorating). The flat was a technicolour one bedroom palace – purple kitchen, green & yellow lounge, red bedroom and turquoise bathroom. The rainbow of the Hampton Wick property market but confusing for the colour blind.

Despite this, I am Decorator in Chief at Banceithin (admittedly self-appointed but the other potential applicant was once seen wearing a purple t-shirt with an orange velvet jacket so I was a shoo in for the job). At first the role lacked colour, white gloss on white undercoat on white wood primer – windows, windows and more windows. Yawn. Then came door painting day. Armed with the knowledge that exterior gloss was available in the full range of the Dulux colour palette, I hurtled off to Ace Decorating Supplies in Aberystwyth. Like a kid in a candy store I toyed with Crushed Pine, flirted with Japanese Maze and paused over Dublin Bay, before heading home with a 2.5 litre can of Paradise Green stashed in the boot.

Could it be that some secret part of me remembered that my very first pop album (cassette tape, of course) was the greatest hits of Shakin’ Stevens? Had I longed for my very own green door all this time?

IMG_3928

Dave christened the colour “barge green” (clearly too much time spent hanging around on the banks of the Kennet & Avon canal). And the verdict of Mr & Mrs Pickworth Senior (aka Squaddie Dad & his Painting Queen) …. “it’s very green”. Damning praise indeed. As for me, I love it. But then I would, wouldn’t I.

No comments: